In recent years, certain developments have taken place which have brought the subject of music as an extremely significant issue. Music has spread to such an extent that it is afflicting every muslim in this modern era. The increasing popularity of music, which is prevalent in our society poses a tremendous danger for muslims.
- Music is a major sin and it is strictly prohibited by the Qur'an and Hadith. Listening to music is detrimental to our Imaan and the destructive nature of this deadly spiritual poison has been mentioned in the following Ahadith:
“Music causes hypocrisy to grow in the hearts, just like water causes the crops to grow.”(Mishkat)
“Verily Allah Ta'ala sent me as a mercy and as a guide unto the worlds. And Allah Ta'ala commanded me to destroy musical instruments.”(Musnad Ahmad)
- Recently there has been a growing trend towards “Islamic” music comprising of Islamic-based lyrics but accompanied by musical instruments and this is being promoted as permissible because the lyrics are Islamic. However, there is no such thing as “Islamic” music, music is music and remains Haraam no matter whatever label is attached to it.
- Music has a strange magnetic pull to corrupt the heart and mind. Those who are fond of listening to music regularly become unmindful of salaah and the zikr of Allah. And those who are engaged in singing have a very bleak future and are exposed to numerous difficulties.
- Music also has the potential of drawing one to many other evils like gambling, alcohol, etc. Probably the worst situation would be for one to declare music as halaal. Nabi (SAW) warned about the time to come when people will declare zina, silk (for males), alcohol and musical instruments as halaal.
- Generally speaking, music and singing form one of the greatest temptations of our times. What is very difficult is the fact that nowadays music is a part of so many things, such as clocks, doorbells, children’s toys, computers, telephones, etc., and avoiding it takes a great deal of determination. Allaah is the source of help.
- It is a very ignorant and misguided attitude to percieve music as a form of pleasure and passing of time, since the messages of today`s music follow a general theme of love, fornication, drugs and all things in conflict to the laws of Allah Ta'ala.
- Shaykh Ibn Taymiyah (R) said: The view of the four Imaams is that all kinds of musical instruments are haraam. It was reported in Bukhaari and elsewhere that the Prophet (SAW) said that there would be among his ummah those who would allow zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments, and he said that they would be transformed into monkeys and pigs… None of the followers of the imaams mentioned any dispute concerning the matter of music. (al-Majmoo’, 11/576).